Mulligatawny Stew is a dish that I have loved for years, and five years ago I decided to put it on our menu. It’s a little creamy, warmly spiced with garam masala and yellow curry, and balanced with a few sweet apples that are added once it’s finished cooking. I love it! When I got the idea to finally make it, I was telling a buddy of mine about my grand plan of putting it on the menu the week of Groundhog’s Day. When he asked why Groundhog’s Day, I said, “Because of Mulligatawny Phil. You know, the groundhog in the movie Groundhog’s Day.” He looked at me like I was a complete idiot, started laughing and said, “You know it’s Punxsutawney Phil, right?”. Oh, yeah. Well, I put it on there anyway and this week is it’s 5 anniversary on the menu. I hope you enjoy it.
Our special holiday 4-course dinner will be available for pick up or home delivery on Wednesday December 23rd, or Thursday morning depending on location. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT NOT ALL OF OUR PICK UP LOCATIONS ARE OPEN ON THURSDAY SO YOUR FOOD WILL HAVE TO BE PICKED UP WEDNESDAY. LOCATIONS AND TIMES ARE:
- CrossFit E3: 324 W. State St. in Eagle.
- Pick up times: Wednesday 5:00PM to 7:00PM and Thursday 9:00AM TO 10:30PM.
- Principia CrossFit: 228 S. Cole Rd. in Boise, in the complex off the corner of Cole and W. Colonial.
- Pick up times: Tuesday 4:00PM to 7:00PM and Wednesday 4:15PM to 7:15PM and Thursday 5:00AM to 7:00AM, Noon to 1:00PM.
- Missing Link Foods: 550 Broadway Ave. in Boise, located in the Ram Plaza next to Pure Barre.
- Pick up times: Wednesday 3:00PM to 7:00PM. Thursday by appointment ONLY BETWEEN 8:00am and NOON, please Contact Us or call 208-841-0254 to schedule a Thursday pick up.
- Verdant CrossFit (Boise): 528 S. Americana Blvd. in Boise.
- Pick up times: Wednesday 4:00PM to 7:00PM.
- Snake River CrossFit: 1123 N. 36th St in Nampa.
- Pick up times: Wednesday 4:00PM to 7:00PM and Thursday 6:00AM to 1:00PM.
- Jack City Fitness:21 N. Allumbaugh St. in Boise.
- Pick up times: Wednseday 4:00PM to 7:00PM CLOSED ON THURSDAY.
- Verdant CrossFit North (Star) : 246 Seneca Springs Way in Star.Pick up times: Wednesday 4:00PM to 7:00PM and Thursday 6:00AM to 7:00AM, 8:00AM to 9:00AM, Noon to 1:00PM.
When my wife and I first started experimenting with Paleo foods, we were fascinated by all the different ingredients and bold flavors: almond and coconut flours, agave, almond butter, and on and on. We made all kinds of meals, some flops, and some new favorites, including Mark Sisson’s Moroccan Chicken Casserole, paleoOMG’s Cilantro Chicken Nuggets(we have kids), Health Bent’s Paleo Pizza Salad, and Elana Amsterdam’s almond flour Silver Dollar Pancakes.
After a while, we started to crave some of our old favorites. We discovered some were already Paleo or with just a couple easy tweaks could be. Many of these favorite recipes we offer on our menu today, including Spaghetti (use spaghetti squash for noodles), Beef Bourguignon (still amazing without butter or flour to thicken), Beef Stroganoff (use coconut milk instead of cream), meat loaf of all kinds (use almond flour instead of oatmeal), and lasagna (no cheese, and sweet potato slices for noodles). These new, evolved recipes, have taken the place of the old, and we love them just as much—we hope you do, too.
If you’ve got some family favorites you’ve tweaked to make them Paleo/Primal friendly, we’d love to hear about them!